In this area of the law we work with clients that have suffered injury due to the negligence of doctors or hospitals with the sole purpose of securing justice for our clients and obtaining maximum compensation for their injuries.
Medical Negligence Law in Cyprus
Patient rights are protected in Cyprus. Protection of Patients law of 2005, as amended, provides for the protection of an extensive list of patient rights and also imposes several duties on doctors and hospitals alike. Moreover, there are particular articles in the Cypriot Criminal Code providing for specific offences by doctors in the case of gross medical negligence, and our Civil Liability Statute, Cap 148 provides for particular civil offences that attract liability in the case of doctors and other medical professionals.
Similarly, Cyprus case law in medical negligence is clear and straightforward in providing that doctors have a legal obligation to patients to adhere to a standard of reasonable care. Breach of the above duties is, in a legal sense, medical negligence and this enables a patient to seek compensation for damages.
If you believe that you or a person you love has suffered injury or has passed away due to a doctor's negligence, we have listed below four important steps you should immediately take in order to safeguard your rights as a patient in Cyprus.
What to do in Case you Suspect Medical Negligence
If you suspect medical negligence, the following will help you document your case:
- Ask your doctor what happened: Doctors have a duty to provide the patient with an explanation of the medical treatment and the care provided as well as the risks and benefits of any medical procedure / treatment / surgery before it is carried out. You are entitled to receive a true and honest answer from your doctor – a conversation which later may be used as evidence before Court.
- Obtain medical certificates: You have the right to receive copies of your medical files from your doctor and / or hospital. You should also request your medical report setting out in detail the therapy received.
- Substantiate your injuries: Photograph or film the obvious consequences of your injury. This will assist the Court to comprehend the severity and the extent of your injuries.
- Write down the facts: Although you may believe that you will never forget this experience, you may however fail to remember important details of it. Follow a daily record of names and dates regarding your injury so that it would be easier for you to remember in the future.
- Get in touch with your lawyer: It is critically important to obtain appropriate legal advice immediately from a lawyer who specializes in medical malpractice: the burden of proof rests on the plaintiff’s shoulders to prove not only that the doctor or the hospital has a duty of care towards him but also that there was a breach of that duty. Patients in Cyprus have statutory rights but these may only be pursued with the help of a lawyer specializing in the field. The sooner you do that the better position you will have in proving your case successfully in Court.
Cyprus Medical Negligence Cases: Providing Simple Answers to Complex Medical Issues
Over the years our law firm has handled many medical negligence cases and we have secured compensation for our clients’ continued medical care, the loss of their income and the pain and suffering they have endured due to medical negligence. Our specialization enables us to provide straightforward answers to complex medical issues and navigate you through the procedure successfully all the way to receiving fair and just compensation. You can read through the links below to read about some of the medical negligence cases we have been handling:
- Hospital-Acquired Infections and Sepsis
- Cerebral Palsy Compensation
- Laser Eye Surgery Malpractice
- Spinal Surgery Malpractice
- Hip Dysplasia Malpractice
- Steroid Induced Osteonecrosis (avascular necrosis) medical negligence cases.
Filling a lawsuit and claiming compensation due to medical malpractice is challenging and most times daunting for the victim, however it serves a dual purpose: not only the victim can obtain the necessary funds needed to safeguard his health and wellbeing, but also an important message is sent to the medical community that negligence and a dangerous environment of treatment should not be tolerated.
Get Help Today
In this area of the law we work with clients that have suffered injuries due to medical negligence with the sole purpose of safeguarding their rights and claim on their behalf the maximum attainable compensation. We have assisted many victims of negligence to get the compensation they deserve. Our office has secured for many negligence victims a fair compensation for their continued medical care, the loss of their income and the pain and suffering they have endured due to the negligence of others.
Call us today at our law office in Nicosia at +357 22 020130 or email us for a free assessment of your case. If you are unable to visit us at our office we may arrange for a home or hospital visit.
Our law office is in Nicosia and we take on cases and appear before all district Courts in all cities of Cyprus, Nicosia, Limassol, Larnaca, Famagusta and Pafos.
We do not charge for the initial consultation. The decision of whether you wish to proceed is entirely yours. We will advise as to the merits of your case, the chances of success and the amount you may expect as compensation. We offer no win no fee funding agreements which means there is no financial risk to you.